The State of Grantseeking Report Fall 2012
The fifth semi-annual survey, conducted by PhilanTech and GrantStation, provides a snapshot of the state of grantseeking. The 758 respondents represented a wide range of nonprofits from size to geographic location to mission focus.Nonprofits continue to struggle with the economy and its effects on funding sources, but there have been some interesting changes in the last six months:
- Once again, most organizations applied for the same number or more grants, but increased efforts resulted in more grants for 27% of respondents (as opposed to 31% in the last survey);
- The average size of grants increased from the same period last year from $39,000 to $50,000;
- Unlike past surveys, the amount of government grants increased (6.1% across all levels of government grants) and private foundations were less likely to be the source of the largest grant award than in previous years;
- Lack of time and/or staff was the most-cited challenge to grantseeking;
- 74.1% of respondents felt optimistic that their grant funding would increase or continue at the same level for the next six months.