In its third annual recognition of America’s Most Promising Social Entrepreneurs, BusinessWeek has named nine B Corporations as among the top 25 social entrepreneurs in the country. I think this is meaningful for two reasons:
- BusinessWeek, a traditional business publication, is actively tracking and evaluating social entrepreneurs. This suggests the increasing recognition of the importance of social entrepreneurship and the notion that “business as usual” is evolving to include social and environmental bottom lines, in addition to a financial bottom line;
- For each of the years that BusinessWeek has chosen its 25 top social entrepreneurs, B Corporations have been a significant component, representing 31% of all of the companies selected by BusinessWeek (including PhilanTech in 2009). I’ve written previously about why I think B Corporations are important for the nonprofit sector, and I think they’re important to the business community in general. The representation of B Corps in this list speaks to the emergence of the B Corp certification as a standard among entrepreneurial companies that are leading the business community in social and environmental responsibility.
Here are the B Corporations that have been named to the BusinessWeek Top 25 Social Entrepreneurs list:
- Azavea - Azavea provides GIS and Mapping Software Development and Geospatial Analysis Services.
- Change.org - Change.org is the leading site for social change, providing daily news and information about important social issues and empowering people to take action.
- Dimagi - Dimagi is an award-winning, socially-conscious technology company that helps organizations deliver quality health care to urban and rural communities across the world.
- Emory Knoll Farms - Emory Knoll Farms' nursery is the only one in the U.S. entirely devoted to growing plants used in the green roof industry.
- Freelancers Insurance Company - Freelancers Insurance Company provides health insurance to independent workers. They're owned by the Freelancers Union, whose members are their only customers.
- Greyston Bakery - The Greyston Bakery is a for-profit enterprise owned by the non-profit Greyston Foundation that has been producing the finest brownies, cakes and tarts for 25 years.
- Nest Collective - A company of consumer products brands focused on nourishing babies, toddlers and kids with healthy, organic foods.
- Re:Vision Architecture - Re:Vision Architecture (RVA) is an architecture, planning, and consulting firm specializing in sustainable design and development.
- World Centric - World Centric provides high quality compostable food service disposables and food packaging products for use in schools, corporate cafeterias, restaurants, hospitals, parties etc.
- Eleek - Eleek is a sustainable design and manufacturing business specializing in high-style lighting and other decorative building parts. They also offer custom design and manufacturing, as well as lighting restoration and retrofitting services.
- Napo Phramaceuticals - CAP Global, a wholly owned subsidiary of Napo Pharmaceuticals, develops and commercializes novel, branded pharmaceuticals to global populations through the establishment of local partnerships.
- DripTech - Driptech Inc. designs and manufactures low cost, drip irrigation for small farmers in developing countries.
- Mobis (Bikestation) - Bikestation plans, designs, builds, and operates bike-transit centers and other multi-modal facilities.
- The Redwoods Group - The Redwoods Group, a privately held socially conscious company, is a commercial specialty insurance provider.
- Source 44 - Source 44 provides data services to help companies evaluate and monitor their environment impact.
- Sustainable Harvest - Sustainable Harvest is one of the highest volume importers of organic and fair-trade coffee in North America.
- Better World Books - Better World Books is an online book retailer and social enterprise.
- CleanFish - CleanFish specializes in providing top quality seafood that is delicious, safe & sustainable - fish you can trust™.
- Fair Trade Sports - Fair Trade Sports, Inc sells Fair Trade, FSC Certified sports balls for soccer, football, basketball, rugby, volleyball, and more.
- IceStone - IceStone LLC manufactures high-design durable surfaces from 100% recycled glass and cement that are used in kitchen countertops, bathroom vanities and flooring.
- Impact Makers - Impact Makers delivers IT and management consulting professional services, focused on the healthcare industry.
- PhilanTech - PhilanTech provides online grants management systems that enhance accountability, transparency, and efficiency in the social sector.
- SVT Group - SVT Group is a strategic impact advisory firm that helps investors and organizations manage impact.
Congratulations to the B Corporations – and the other social entrepreneurs – selected by BusinessWeek this year!